To major in Music at SSU, one must:
- be admitted as a student to SSU
- schedule AND successfully complete a Music Department audition
Audition Instructions for Prospective Music Majors (entering and transfer students)
To audition to become a Music Major you must first apply to the University during October 1st through November 30th application period. All the information is found on the University's Admissions pages.
Auditioning for acceptance into the Department of Music is a separate procedure from University Admissions. The Department of Music requires all prospective music majors to complete an audition on their major instrument/voice.
Once you have applied to the university you can schedule an Audition to become a Music Major on one of the Department of Music Audition Days.
- November 10, 2018
- January 19, 2019
- March 9, 2019
Audition Request Form
To reserve an audition on one of the Department of Music Audition Days fill out the Music Major Audition Request Form.
- All auditions, live or recorded, shall include two pieces in contrasting styles that can be performed within the 10-minute limit that demonstrate accurate rhythms, pitch control and interpretive awareness.
- An accompanist will be provided for vocalists (applicants must provide piano/vocal score in a binder with music printed back to back).
- Drum Set and Amps (bring your own cord) are provided for jazz applications. Accompaniment is not required for classical instrumentalists.
- Applicants should bring three copies of their music for the committee.
- All Instrumentalists shall prepare two major scales and one minor scale in all three forms - natural, harmonic, and melodic.
- Jazz students may perform with an Aebersold-style play along CD or a live rhythm section. Jazz drummers must demonstrate various styles, including swing, jazz waltz, funk, and Latin.
- Music Education students in addition shall write a one-paragraph statement on why they wish to teach.
- Music Theatre students are encouraged to bring a DVD of themselves performing (singing and acting) in a musical.
- Composition students in addition to auditioning on their major instrument/voice submit two notated scores and recordings of their original work.
Audition Day - What to Expect
Once you have scheduled your audition on one of the Department of Music Audition Days, here's what to expect on your big day.
Here is the schedule for the day:
- 8:00-8:30 am: Check in for morning auditionees (Classical Instrumental, except Percussion, Schroeder Lobby)
- 8:30 am-1:00 pm: Classical Instrumental Auditions, except Percussion (Schroeder)
- 12:30 am--1:00 pm: Check in for afternoon auditionees (all Percussion, Voice and Jazz, Schroeder Lobby)
- 1:00-1:20 pm: Theory Placement Test (both groups, GMC 1027)
- 1:20-1:40 pm: Welcome & Information Session (both groups, parents may attend, Schroeder)
- 1:40-2:10 pm: Tour of Weill Hall and Green Music Center led by Brooke Tester (parents may attend)
- 2:20-5:00 pm: Percussion, Voice and Jazz Auditions (Schroeder)
Want to come for a visit on a regular school day?
- Get a tour of the music facility.
- Observe a Music Class.
- Observe, or sit in on an ensemble rehearsal.
- Meet with the Chair of the Department of Music
- and/or with a Program/Ensemble Director or Conductor
- Have a trial private lesson (if lesson teacher is available)
Fill out this form to plan your visit!
Email link to firstname.lastname@example.org or send recorded auditions along with a cover letter to:
Music Department (Audition Materials)
Sonoma State University
1801 E. Cotati Ave.
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
Acceptance & Programs
Upon your acceptance to the Department of Music you will declare your major from one of the five options:
- Bachelor of Arts - Liberal Arts
- Bachelor of Music - Composition and Technology
- Bachelor of Music - Performance
- Bachelor of Music - Jazz Studies
- Bachelor of Music - Music Education
We look forward to your enrollment!