Director of Jazz Studies
What I Do at SSU
I coordinate the jazz program at SSU, and teach most of its core classes, including jazz theory, jazz improvisation, jazz composition and jazz arranging. I also direct the 19-piece SSU Jazz Orchestra and coach the Concert Jazz Ensembles, our small jazz combos. As a multi-instrumentalist, educator, composer and arranger, I encourage versatility in our students.
Leibinger holds three degrees in jazz performance from the University of Miami. His primary instrument is trombone, but he performs professionally on bass, guitar, keyboards, baritone saxophone, and sometimes accordion. He is also an accomplished composer and arranger. Here are a few interesting things that Doug has done:
- Played trombone on the University of Miami’s Grammy-nominated recording of Maria Schneider’s Three Romances
- Conducted members of Chuck Owen’s Jazz Surge on a performance of Doug’s composition, “Ring Shout,” at the 2nd International Jazz Composers Symposium
- Recorded in a horn section for P. Diddy’s CD, The Saga Continues . . .
- Toured South America and the Caribbean with Sony pop artist Chayanne
- Recorded “Flying Purple People Eater” with Jimmy Buffett and Iko Iko for the soundtrack of the movie Contact starring Jodie Foster
- Arranged the theme “Futbol Café” for Columbia’s national soccer team
- Performed with Sam Moore, Les Elgart, Peter Cetera, Jon Faddis, Roberto Torres, Jerry Lewis, Jim Belushi, the Drifters, Randy Brecker, Jose Luis “el Puma” Rodriguez, and many more